Tuesday, April 1, 2008

More founder updates

Just asked Carl (a classmate at Amherst) to join as a technical cofounder, but his career's taking him away from pure development and he didn't think he was really qualified to be a cofounder (as opposed to an early employee) of a software startup. Sigh. Not sure who else to ask. One of the downsides of going to Amherst is that the risk-embracing, entrepreneurial, tech-savvy population is really small. Most of my classmates are becoming lawyers or financiers.

I'm working on getting some bugs ironed out before the YCombinator app is due (I've already got my app in), but the loss of a cofounder really kinda eviscerated the app. Half the questions are about your relationship with your cofounder. Looks like this round may not be ours...

Am trying to decide what to do after that. I'm tempted to put GameClay aside for a bit and do some side projects that are more tractable, like all the "other ideas" we included on our YC app. OTOH, the more market research I do, the more I think that casual games are really where it was at.

If only the particular problem within casual games we'd chosen to take on wasn't so damn difficult. Then again, if it weren't, then there'd be hundreds of other companies doing the same thing (like with game hosting, or the games themselves).