Since last Monday, I've gotten MogileFS working, experimented with the Python API, installed Pylons, and written about 3-4 simple Pylons apps. Have a decent handle on Routes, Pylons, configuration, packaging now. I hope.
I guess it looks like we'll be redoing the web end now after all; basically, I want a simple blank canvas upon which to build our demos. Seemed easier than trying to integrate it in with the existing Diffle.com site.
I was thinking recently about all the false starts we've had and things we've had to redo, either partially or totally:
- I started with web.py's DB module but ended up ditching it for one I wrote myself
- I started with web.py's Cheetah integration, ditched it for standalone Cheetah templates, and then ditched them for Mako
- I spent significant amounts of time learning about internationalization and HTTP testing for Python, neither of which we really used
- We did RejectedByYC.com, which we repositioned as Bootstrapacitor, which never went anywhere.
- We launched as a regular Flash games site which never got significant adoption. The logic behind that was that we'd need those features anyway, but I'm not sure now that we do, and I think we're better off launching with only our core value proposition (the game creation engine) and adding back social features as we need them.
- Initially we were going to use Ming for the Flash compiler; Mike found MTASC and Swfmill and we went with those instead.
- I almost completely rewrote Mike's initial MTASC prototypes to fit with our general architecture.
Eventually I'll just have to dive in, fully, and whip something up. And I think we're close to the point I can do that, but not there yet. It's like I'm still pussyfooting around the edge of the product and not quite ready to make it a reality yet.