Monday, September 24, 2007

A week and a half of freedom

It's now been a week and a half, nearly two weeks, since I quit the day job. And so far, it's appeared that that was exactly the right thing to do.

It's not really the time issue. I estimate that I work maybe 8-9ish hours a day of actual productive time on Diffle, broken into 3 hours or so when I first wake up, another 2 hours or so before dinner, and then 3-4 hours at night. I certainly couldn't do that with a day job, but it's only a factor of two or so more than I could manage in my spare time, and my productivity is way more than a factor of two higher.

Rather, it's what it does to my attention span. Before, those 4 hours a day were broken into 45 minutes or so before work, 45 minutes before dinner, and maybe two hours after dinner when I'm all tired out. By the time I actually get into the work, the amount of usable time is really more like zero. So essentially all useful work was done on weekends.

Also, I find that I'm thinking much more clearly. I'd stumbled around for about 2 months as to an overall architecture for game editor + JavaScript version + Flash version. It came to me about 2 days after quitting my day job. My code is cleaner and nicely factored. Mike remarked at how simple and intuitive the hangman prototype I put together is.

Anyway, a quick list of things I've done since quitting:
  • jQuery documentation & dependency tool
  • YC News in polar coordinates - the cloudmaps stuff didn't really work right (despite spending a few days on it), so I replaced it with a simple polar plot during DevHouseBoston. Was generally a success; did most of it during the hackathon, cleaned it up and added a couple other features in the two days afterwards, and posted it on news.YC. Will include in our YC app as a cool hack.
  • Hangman prototype - it took about 2-3 days to get up-to-speed with MTASC, Swfmill, and ActionScript. I've got a basic fluency now, along with a prototype. Converting it to JavaScript took only a couple hours, and now I'm working on a compiler to generate both from the same source.
Also thought out a distributed architecture for storing games and such.

Am about to start working on the YC app. Mike did a draft last week, now we have to condense things down, since it's too wordy.

Also should start a post with a list of all the mistakes we've made. There's a tendency to white-wash the past, so might as well get them all down while they're fresh and painful. Might be interesting, and hopefully we can avoid making them again.

4 comments:

tn requin said...

sleeping bag
tablecloth
travel luggage
car gps
car parts
GPS navigation
portable GPS
lcd tv
flat tv
digital picture frames
unlocked cell phones
wedding dresses
wedding jewelry
chaussures mode
chaussures Femmes
women's shoes
round tablecloth
discount handbags
chaussures sport
chaussures pas cher
fashion bedding
id lanyard
lanyard
creative gadgets
gift ideas
kids wall stickers
wall stickers
bath curtains
kitchen faucet
bathroom faucet

tn requin said...

sleeping bag
tablecloth
travel luggage
car gps
car parts
GPS navigation
portable GPS
lcd tv
flat tv
digital picture frames
unlocked cell phones
wedding dresses
wedding jewelry
chaussures mode
chaussures Femmes
women's shoes
round tablecloth
discount handbags
chaussures sport
chaussures pas cher
fashion bedding
id lanyard
lanyard
creative gadgets
gift ideas
kids wall stickers
wall stickers
bath curtains
kitchen faucet
bathroom faucet

shopping online said...

Adsense of Jordan Shoes : just do it!
Adsense of Moncler Jackets : sends to warm, give you more comforts of life!
Adsense of NFL Jerseys : everything is possible!
Adsense of Christian Louboutin : choice me is choice beautiful foot and body!
Adsense of Puma Shoes : champion is in the first line!
Adsense of Gucci Shoes : Allows you to enjoy the leisure life in the fun!
Adsense of Vibram Fivefingers : taste original life, wear the most morden and comfortable shoes!
Adsense of GHD Hair straighteners : why make our hair so beautiful and lots stylers, for choice me is choice happy!
Adsense of Michael Jordan Shoes : just do it!

jay paul said...

Really nice post, you got great blog and Thank you for sharing This excellently written content. Waiting for next one.

HP - Pavilion 15.6" Laptop - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive

HP - Pavilion 15.6" Laptop - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive (15-e013nr)